Prepare Your Proposal Submission
TURN OFF POP-UP BLOCKER IN YOUR BROWSER BEFORE YOU SUBMIT. You do not need to be a member to submit a proposal, but you do need an active account on the MPSA website (this is NOT the same as registering for the conference).
If you are not sure if you have an account for the website or if you cannot remember your username and/or password, click here to retrieve your username and/or password. NOTE: Every user must submit their own proposal using their own account. If you are a faculty advisor, please do not submit a proposal for one of your students when you are logged in with your personal account.
The following information is required for the online submission form:
- Section(s). You may submit to up to 2 section.
- Title of the proposal. (This information will be included in the conference program if the proposal is accepted. There is a 250 character limit. Spaces and punctuation marks DO count as characters. Do not use tabs or hard returns.)
- Brief overview. (This information will be included in the conference program if the proposal is accepted. There is a 250 character limit. Spaces and punctuation marks count as characters. Do not use tabs or hard returns. We recommend that you write the overview before you log into the system and copy and paste it into the text box.)
- Key words. (There is a 250 character limit.)
- Abstract. (There is a 1,250 character limit. Spaces and punctuation marks DO count as characters. Do not use tabs or hard returns. We recommend that you write the abstract before you log into the system and copy and paste it into the text box.)
How It Works
Once you select the proposal link you will be taken to the Submitter Menu. You have three options:
- Submit or Edit a Proposal, Meeting or Reception
- Volunteer to be a Chair or Discussant
- Message Center
To submit proposals, select "Submit or Edit a Proposal, Meeting or Reception". (Depending on your Professional Level listed in the Background and Research Interests section of your MPSA profile you will see the appropriate submission forms for your professional level.)
Select the appropriate form, then choose the section to which you wish to submit. You may then select a secondary section (subfield submissions may only select one section). Next add your title, abstract, keywords, and brief overview following the instructions on the page. Finally, select the “Accept and Continue” button at the bottom right of the page.
NOTE: watch for error messages at the top of the page.
WARNING: DO NOT USE YOUR BROWSER'S BACK BUTTON.
The Select Author(s) page will appear. You will have been pre-populated as an author. To add a co-author, use the search box: Add/Search for Author(s) by Last Name. Enter the author’s last name ONLY and select the “Search for Author” button. If the author appears in the list, select them by clicking the “Add Author” button to the right of their affiliation. Continue to do this for all authors. Check the results carefully to determine if the person you wish to add is already in the database.
NOTE: Authors MUST have an MPSA account before you may add them as a co-author.
DO NOT create an additional record if the person appears in the results – even if their record needs to be updated (affiliation, email, etc.). Doing so may prevent your co-author from accessing MPSA membership benefits and historical conference information.
If you determine that your co-author is not in the MPSA database you will need to create a new record, you should select “Click here to add a new record in the database”. A new browser window will open, and you will be prompted to add a record. When you have completed the form select the “Finish” button. Once the new record has processed, you will see a link to close the window which will return you to the Select Author(s) page. After you have added a new record you will need to search again on their name to add them as a co-author.
Change the Author order by clicking Up or Down in the Display Order field. The authors should be listed in the order they will appear in the final program. To remove an author, click “Remove” in the Action column. Once you have completed the process of adding authors click “Accept and Continue”.
Next the Submission Summary page will appear. Review your proposal information carefully. If you wish to make edits, use the edit links on the far right of the page. If you are satisfied with your proposal select the “Save and Submit” button on the bottom right of the page.
Your confirmation will appear on the screen when you have completed the submission process. You may print out a confirmation of your submission at any time by visiting the Message Center on the main menu. You should also receive an email from email@example.com. The email will arrive within minutes of completing your submission. If you do not receive the email, it may be due to one of the following reasons:
- You did not complete the submission process properly. Go back and review the above help notes to make sure you have completed the process.
- Your email address is incorrect. If you log in with an email account you no longer use, you will not receive email notifications.
- Your email has very sensitive spam blockers that are blocking the incoming email. You can check your "junk" email inbox, add the domain "@allacademic.com" to your safe list, and talk with your email provider to resolve this issue.
When you receive your email confirmation, please DO NOT REPLY to All Academic. Email sent to All Academic will not be viewed or answered. For questions about your submission, or its status, please email MPSA conference staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may submit up to two paper proposals. Only one of two proposals may be a single-authored paper. The same proposal may be submitted to up to two sections, but submitting a proposal to two sections does not increase the chance of acceptance.
If you have a terminal degree and submit a proposal, you will also automatically be considered for the role of discussant/chair.
Papers may be presented in a panel, symposia, or JSS format. Subfield submissions may be presented in a Lightning Talk or poster format. ( Learn more about session formats ). The length and format of a paper are whatever is appropriate for publication in your subfield. First year graduate students are only eligible to present in a poster or Lightning Talk format.
You cannot submit a full paper to the proposal submission system. If your proposal is accepted, you will receive instructions in March about how to submit your paper to the members of your panel by uploading it to the MPSA paper archive.
By the end of December, you will be notified via email about the status of your submission. Be sure to provide an email address that you check regularly. All correspondence about your submission and the conference will be through email.
You cannot delete a proposal once submitted.
The conference will take place over a four-day period, from Thursday morning through Sunday afternoon. By submitting a proposal, you agree to be available to participate during any of the four days of the conference. Requests for specific days or times for participation are not accepted, except for reasons related to religious observances or unusual family circumstances.
Submitting a Complete Panel
You must hold a terminal degree to submit a complete panel. A complete panel consists of four to five papers, one chair, and two discussants. You will need the following information to complete the form:
- Session Title
- For each paper proposal: Author Names, affiliations, email addresses, mailing address, telephone number, proposal title, abstract, overview, and keywords.
- Title of the proposals. (This information will be included in the conference program if the proposal is accepted. There is a 250 character limit. Spaces and punctuation marks count as characters. Do not use tabs or hard returns.)
- Brief overviews. (This information will be included in the conference program if the proposal is accepted. There is a 250 character limit. Spaces and punctuation marks count as characters. Do not use tabs or hard returns. We recommend that you write the overview before you log into the system and copy and paste it into the text box.)
- Key words.
- Abstracts. (There is a 1,250 character limit. Spaces and punctuation marks count as characters. Do not use tabs or hard returns. We recommend that you write the abstract before you log into the system and copy and paste it into the text box.)
- For the discussants and chairs: Name, affiliation, email address, telephone number, Note: the discussants may not serve as authors on any paper on the same session.
Please do not submit this form until you have all the information requested above. You will not be able to submit incomplete submissions.
Questions about the electronic submissions process, policies, or presentation formats should be directed to MPSA conference staff at email@example.com.
Guidelines subject to change. Updated 6/26/19