Frequently Asked Questions - Conference
Click here to jump to FAQs about:
- My proposal has been accepted. What date/time is my session?
You can find your schedule online by searching the preliminary conference schedule (HERE). The online program is searchable by participant name, session format, section and date/time.
- Does MPSA offer job placement at the conference?
Since there are traditionally very few positions open in the spring, we decided to forgo the traditional placement area at the MPSA conference. Instead, we have begun to post open positions to our website and in our monthly newsletter as they are submitted. Have an open position? Please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How can I learn more about MPSA, the conference, and the conference hotel? We are preparing two online orientation sessions to help make your first MPSA conference more enjoyable. During the online sessions on March 18 (4pm Eastern) and March 26 (11am Eastern) we will discuss ideas to help you prepare for traveling to, arriving at, and making the most of this year’s conference. Topics to include: navigating the Palmer House, highlighted receptions and events, and where to find assistance on-site. Be sure to submit your questions when you sign up for an online orientation session.
- What’s the official conference hashtag?
The official hashtag for this year’s conference is #MPSA19. Follow the hashtag for updates from the association (and your colleagues)!
- Where should I go when I arrive at the conference?
To pick up your name badge and conference program, please visit the MPSA conference registration area in the Grand and State Ballroom on the 4th Floor of the Palmer House Hilton. Name badges are required for entry into all conference sessions and receptions, as well as the Exhibit Hall, and must be obtained prior to your presentation. Please plan to allow enough time to pick up your name badge prior to setting up your poster presentation.
- Is there a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel?
No. Please visit our Travel Resources page for information on discounted airport shuttles, public transportation, and discounted parking.
- Where can I charge my phone/laptop/tablet?
You may use the charging stations in the State Ballroom near the registration area and in the Ehibition Hall, both located on the 4th Floor of the Palmer House to charge your tablets and phones. Additionally, you may charge your devices in the 4th floor Exhibition Hall or counters in the hallway across from the Grand Ballroom.
- Which receptions are open to all attendees?
The MPSA Exhibitor Reception (Thursday, April 4, 2019 6:30 – 7:30pm) and the MPSA Presidents Reception (Saturday, April 6 6:30 – 7:30pm) are open to all registered attendees. You may see a list of all scheduled receptions and events at https://www.mpsanet.org/Meetings-Receptions.
- Is there a quiet area I can use at the conference without going back to my room?
MPSA is reserving the Wabash Room on the 3rd floor of the Palmer House, as a quiet space to allow attendees to get away from the sounds, lights and energy of the annual conference activity. Please respect the purpose of this quiet space by planning personal meetings elsewhere.
- How do I access the room for nursing mothers?
MPSA has set aside a room at the Palmer House Hilton for nursing mothers during the conference. If you wish to use the room, please check in at the conference registration desk for room location and access information when you arrive onsite.
- What should I wear for my presentation?
Most attendees will wear business professional attire while presenting research and business or business casual attire for the duration of the conference. You may review photos from past conferences to help determine your personal dress code.
- Where is a gender-neutral restroom at the Palmer House?
A gender-neutral restroom is located on the 3rd floor near the Ashland Room.
- Is there anywhere nearby to access a computer or have some documents printed? - The FedEx Office Print & Ship Center and the UPS Store located adjacent to the Palmer House both provide printing services. You can learn more and see their rates on their respective websites.
- Who can I ask for help while at the conference?
If you need directions or have general questions about the Palmer House Hilton itself, please look for hotel staff members wearing bright blue jackets. Hotel staff will be stationed in main conference areas to answer hotel-specific questions. For questions about conference presentations, MPSA staff members will be available at the main registration desk and at an information book outside of the State Ballroom on the 4th floor of the Palmer House Hilton.
- When is the deadline for uploading my paper?
The deadline for uploading your materials is March 22, 2019, but we are sure that your discussant would appreciate having more time to craft thoughtful comments. Please consider uploading your paper earlier, if possible.
- How do I access all of the papers for my sessions?
Visit our paper repository page for detailed instructions for accessing papers for your sessions. Please note that only papers which have been uploaded will appear online.
- It’s after the deadline and no one has uploaded their research. I’m the discussant! What should I do?
Please contact each member of the panel individually and ask that they upload their research to the MPSA’s paper repository online.
- Why can’t I participate in more than three sessions at the conference?
Individuals may participate in up to three roles: presenting papers on no more than two panels, JSS or poster sessions (only one of these may be single author) and in one chair/discussant role. If three or more of your paper proposals are accepted, you must choose which two you will agree to present. Individuals not presenting may still serve as a chair/discussant for up to two sessions. Roundtables and Author Meets Critics do not count toward participation limits.
- Can I nominate my own research for an award?
Self-nominations are not permitted. MPSA strongly encourages individuals with section or panel responsibilities to nominate papers from their panels for consideration. Learn more about the awards program.
MPSA has prepared a set of guidelines and tips for those presenting in poster sessions and on standing panels:
- How can I access a receipt for my conference registration?
Conference attendees can print registration receipts from the website. Just log in at www.MPSAnet.org, and click the "My Account" button at the top of the screen, then click the "Manage My Account" link. Scroll down to the "Recent Orders" section to see all recent transactions. Each transaction can be printed from this page by clicking on the "View" button. A .pdf of your receipt will open in a new window which will permit you to download or print the document.
- How do I get a certificate of participation?
Due to the volume of requests, MPSA staff are not able to provide certificates of participation during the conference. Please send your certificate of participation request via email to email@example.com after the conference.
- I have been invited to speak on a panel, and I am not a member of MPSA. Do I have to register for the conference?
Everyone who attends the conference must register. There are no exceptions. The Conference Fee Waiver Scholarship is available on a first-come, first-served basis for international scholars from developing countries and individuals who are not political scientists, if they have not attended the conference before.
- Why is the conference registration fee higher if I do not stay in a conference hotel?
When the MPSA negotiates a contract with a conference hotel, the association receives free meeting space in exchange for a guarantee that it will use a specific number of sleeping rooms. If attendees do not use the required number of sleeping rooms, the MPSA must pay the cost for these unused rooms, which could amount to hundreds of thousands of dollars. In addition, the more sleeping rooms that conference attendees use, the more attractive the MPSA conference becomes to a hotel, and the MPSA can negotiate even lower room rates.
- If I have already registered for the conference but decide not to attend, can I get a refund?
Like APSA and many other associations, the MPSA has a "no refund" policy.
- Do I have to purchase a membership to register for the conference?
No, you are not required to purchase a membership prior to registering for the conference. However, please note that MPSA members receive significant discounts.
- If I purchase a membership, do I also have to register for the conference?
MPSA membership is not the same as conference registration. To register for the conference at the member rate, please note that conference registration must be made as a second transaction after purchasing the membership.
- When is the deadline to register for the conference?
Early registration discounts are available through January 15, 2019. After the early registration period ends, you may register for the conference at the regular (non-discounted) rate. To ensure that your presentation remains on the conference program, conference registration is required by February 26, 2019. Advance registration closes on March 15, 2019. Please check the Important Dates and Deadlines page on the MPSA website for additional deadline postings.
- Are hotel accommodations and meals included in the conference registration fee?
No. Neither meals nor hotel accommodations are included with your conference registration fee. You are responsible for making your own hotel and childcare reservations. Please see information about making reservations at our official conference hotels here.
- Do I have to present at the conference to attend?
No. While most of the conference attendees are participating as presenters, all political science students and scholars are welcome to attend. The same registration rates and deadlines apply for all conference attendees.
- Why are hotel rooms more expensive at the MPSA conference than they are at the APSA conference?
Hotel room rates are determined by the law of supply and demand. The APSA conference is held over a holiday weekend (Labor Day). As a result, the APSA can negotiate lower room rates with hotels, because hotels have low occupancy and few, if any, business travelers at that time. The MPSA seeks national bids for its conferences and considers other locations throughout North America. The association returns to the Palmer House based upon the right mix of quality and price.
- Does the MPSA check to see if a person has registered in a non-conference hotel?
The MPSA counts on you to be honest when you select a registration rate and pay to attend the conference. We have restructured our registration system this year so we can confirm that people who register at the lower in-hotel rate are really staying in the Palmer House or an official conference overflow hotel. If a person registers for the conference at the lower in-hotel rate but is not a registered guest in an official conference hotel, he or she will be billed for the difference between the in-hotel and out-of-hotel rates. Be aware that if you are not officially registered as a guest in the hotel, you are not staying in that hotel. If you are sharing a room with another person, be sure that you register at the hotel check-in desk when you arrive at the hotel.
- What happens if the Palmer House sells out of rooms?
As the MPSA conference has grown over the past several years, rooms at the Palmer House have sold out. When this has happened, the MPSA has negotiated additional blocks of rooms at other hotels. We will continue to try to negotiate additional room blocks once the Palmer House sells out: however, ultimately it is your responsibility to make your reservations in a timely manner.
- Does MPSA provide childcare for attendees with children?
The preferred childcare services recommended by the Palmer House Hilton are American Child Care and American Registry. Childcare can be provided in your hotel room. The rates and form of payment vary between services. Please visit our childcare page for more information. For additional recommendations, please call the Palmer House concierge desk at (312) 917-3477.
- If your question about the conference isn't answered above, please email MPSA conference staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.